Friday, February 9, 2007

The Eyes of the Blind Are Opened

So back to relating the events of our two day tiyul (field trip). On the second day of the tiyul we got up and after breakfast at the hostile we headed off for a place called Sataf. This is in the Judean hills. It was and is used for agriculture. However, since it is on a hill there are many terraces. water runs through an irrigation system that gets water from springs. I think that the irrigation system on this hill dates back to the early years of the Israelite kingdom. While at Sataf we were able to climb through a water tunnel. This tunnel was dark and wet. At the end it opened up into a big room were water ran down a wall into the groove that it runs along. At the opening to the tunnel was a large pool that collected the water for irrigation. Inside the cave we shut off our flashlights and the teachers spoke of just how water comes together so we should come together in this experience that we are all a part of.

After leaving the cave and hiking down the mountain we headed off to Jerusalem for the first time. Since this was going to be the first time that we were going to see Jerusalem, the teachers wanted us to have a good first view. So we put on blindfolds (However, some used alternative ways of covering their eyes. I used a t-shirt.) until we got to the spot they wanted us to be at. They led us off the bus and positioned us in a way so that when the blind regained their sight they would see something amazing. Then sight came and we saw Jerusalem in all of its glory. It was sooooooo beautiful. After taking in the view for a while we sang "Yerushalayim Shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold)." Then we split into groups, talked about the layout of the city, and ate an amazing lunch with food from an Israeli street market (I think. Anyways it was delicious.).

The next stop was the old city of Jerusalem. However, once again I will have to leave you in suspense as it is almost Shabbat (sabbath). So you'll have to wait to read the rest.

Shabbat Shalom (sabbath greeting)

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Hi Yoshi--it's Mrs. Schenck, Steve & Joe's mom. I hope you don't mind me reading about your trip of a lifetime. I am actually quite envious. I am praying foremost for your safety and that of your group. I'll anxiously await your next entry.
Mrs. S.