Monday, February 12, 2007

I Think You've Waited Long Enough

So finally I am going to finish writing about our first two-day tiyul (field trip).

We left the lookout point on U.N. Hill and went to Jerusalem. Our first stop was the City of David. Here we walked around the city looking at different archeological excavations that help us to understand how life was in this city during biblical times. We saw the spot where archeologists think David's home was, and we also walked through a cave that was built as a way to get to a well that led to the Gihon Spring. The area is still being excavated and the well hasn't exactly been found. However, once they find it, it is thought to be where King David's army commander, Yoav, climbed into the city to conquer Jerusalem.

After some time in the City of David we went to the Kotel (Western Wall). We first talked about the significance of The Wall, and then we had time to go pray, and take in the moment. I prayed Mincha (afternoon prayers) and placed some notes in the wall. I think that it is tradition that G-d's presence has never departed from the Kotel even after the temple was destroyed. So it is also a tradition to place prayers in the wall for G-d to read and hopefully answer. My time at the Kotel was very special. However, it wasn't the life changing experience that I thought it would be. I think that my expectations were too high. Then when I got there it was just another place. However, hope is not lost. My time in Israel is still making me very connected to this land, and I will be back to the Kotel.

As our last event in Jerusalem for the day we went to Ben-Yehuda street. This is a very popular street in Jerusalem with shopping and restaraunts. I didn't walk around much because I spent most of my time at a restaraunt called Burgers Bar (seriously the best kosher burger I ever had) (there is always something kosher, I love it) (seriously, KOSHER!!! it is awesome). The restaraunt had many different types of sauces for the burgers. I ate and was in heaven.

We went home after this and the next day was pretty much normal. Except we had some quizes if I remember correctly. On Friday we had our first test. I think that I did good. Class here does not feel like class. I love what I am studying and I am very passionate about it. I feel that I am connecting many of the dots in my mind as we go through Jewish history. I have learned much from my synagogue interactions and hours on the internet but now I am learning the details and things that I never knew. Life is great.

Get your ropes ready because you might have to drag me home.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Yoshi,

Regarding your trip to the Kotel. I too had the same feeling about the Kotel after my first visit. We build up such amazing expectations of the place, that when we are actually there, it can seem like more stones than G-d. There is a reason for this, so let me explain.

In the galut (diaspora) our physical reality overpowers the spiritual reality, so this defines our perspective on the world. We deal with the physical and have "sparks" or short moments when we transcend physical and contact the realm of G-d (aka. spirituality). When we imagine Jerusalem and the Kotel in the galut we build up in our mind a purely spiritual place, given its significance as the hub of spirituality for G-d's people.

So what happens when we finally arrive? We find stones and people and mishigas like everywhere else. We see cell phones, beggers, kids running around, people arguing, and most of all - people praying. When we finally arrive at the most holy place in the world we find that at the physical level it is also like the galut. It is as if the galut never left us, or we never left the galut. But understand this... your eyes are trained for the galut, to perceive only the galut. The reality is different.

Picture yourself putting on X-ray glasses. When you put on these glasses you no longer see what is on the surface but what is within. You are no longer distracted by physicality, but now can see the reality - what is inside and what REALLY makes up the world.

Israel is a living breathing working community, a country bridging the west and the east. It looks like the galut, but when you put on your special glasses you will see the real reality. You will see the potential and the mechanisms behind the mask.

The next time you come to the Kotel (and may it be soon), try to look beyond the veil the world drapes on G-dliness. Merge your prayers and feelings with those who are there. Understand why they are there and why they keep coming back. Think of the past, present, and future of your people, all wrapped up into one reality. This reality is only visible when you put on the glasses, ... or when you remove the veil.

Keep looking and you will see it.

Rabbi Rafael

Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh Ben-Yehuda street is like totally AWESOME I went there! It is like so busy and it is even better at night!

Anonymous said...

Yoshi-
when I went to the Kotel I didn't see all the cell phones I just saw TONS of people praying and all that.